Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Girl Who Played with Fire, by Stieg Larrson




Life is too short to spend time with books like this. That probably (likely) sounds a bit snobby. And maybe it is. But what recompense do I get having spent 200+ pages on a book I kept expecting to return to the moody dark suspense that at least attempted, and partially succeeded, to permeate its predecessor, The Girl with Dragon Tattoo, only to find after too much time that this story is a linear, flavorless, mood-less boring tale. Was it even written by the same person? OK. Here’s my problem with the book – it’s a sequence of mostly uninteresting events that happen to mostly poorly developed characters. I’m sure that it gets gruesome and unsettling later in the tale. But that’s not why I read books – ideas, interesting prose and a good tale are what I’m after. If I want gruesome and unsettling, I’ll read the daily paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment